I thought I would see how many applications I can open at one time on my Nokia N900 since it’s supposedly one of the best devices for multitasking.
To make it a little more interesting, I have open various applications namely;
- My browser bookmarks page,
- a couple of (IM) instant message (three separate screens)
- two fairly large websites with lots of images (www.wilkinsonsworld.com) and (www.expedia.com – I did a search for holiday appartments in New York city),
- RSS Feeder application showing the latest headlines from Maemo, Twitter and BBC News.
- Twitter website,
- My blog (lookatbowen.com – edit comments screen),
- Application manager showing all available applications,
- Media box – 3rd party multimedia player – was listening to Clive Cussler – Dragon Audio Book,
- File Manager,
- Conversations window showing various IM and SMS messages,
- SMS screen to my Mom,
The N900 so far is working like a dream. No sign of slowing down, so I thought I would open a few more applications.
- OVI store website, did a search for Firefox and downloaded it,
- FAQ screen is a help screen for something,
- The default media player playing Counting Crows.
- Firefox browser showing our website,
- File Manager application showing the screens above and below,
- Witter (a twitter application),
- Vagalume (Last.fm player).
- MaStory (blogging tool).
- Email announcement.
- SMS announcement.
One awesome feature of the task bar is that each of the mini screens are a real-time image of the actual application. It is bloody awesome! At this stage I was running out of things to open, and after calculator the N900 finally started to show signs of slowness. Well it was a very clear sign – an error. (ha ha).
- Address book,
- Buddy list in Pidgin,
- A game of chess.
I think I have made my point. I challenge any iPhone owner to show me a similar test!