I have experienced some annoying phone issues over the past 3 to 4 weeks, which have stumped me somewhat until now. I have a custom ROM installed on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 called Resurrection Remix, which I upgrade every week or two whenever there is a new update, that way I am always up-to-date. It is a brilliant ROM, but clearly one of the updates screwed things. Here are the symptoms I have experienced.
Symptom 1: Searching something through the Google search bar widget, the search page opened up with the results, but scrolling down the page (thumb up) does nothing or it hangs for a few seconds. If I swapped direction and scrolled up briefly it would hang. After a few attempts the phone would reboot.
Symptom 2: At random times during typing the keyboard would hang, and the phone rebooted. My default keyboard is Swype.
Symptom 3: My phone would get very slow all of a sudden, very laggy and my RAM would run out and the phone would reboot.
Symptom 4: Random reboots.
Troubleshooting: Naturally I thought it was the Google Apps widget and possibly the Swype keyboard, so I removed both of them and used the stock Android keyboard. Symptom 1 didn’t occur again, but symptom 2 and 3 did, which ruled out Swype keyboard being at fault and I wasn’t totally convinced Google had anything to do with it.
Given I have been experiencing this problem for +- 3 to 4 weeks, I reckoned it had something to do with the Resurrection Remix releases around mid-July.
Reading: the XDA Developers forum for Resurrection Remix revealed that some folk were experiencing similar issues with random reboots and keyboard hanging after upgrading to RR-LP-V5.5.1-20150715-hlte.zip (coincidence I think so). Reading from page Page 77 (;-) this is quite an active forum), Lord Eko suggested a full wipe, which I know I hadn’t done, 🙁 – I did a dirty flash meaning I flashed over the top of my existing ROM the new update file (RR-LP-V5.5.1-20150715-hlte.zip), then flashed Gapps-5.1.x-20150404-minimal-edition-signed.zip, then ran wipe Dalvik cache and wiped the cache.
This was the problem I was pretty sure. I continued to dirty flash to RR-LP-V5.5.3-20150808-hlte.zip and continued to have the problems. On page 83 a senior member mentioned their phone was getting laggy and slow. (My symptom 3) and various others also confirmed they were having the same problems.
Someone confirmed they had done a full wipe and were still having problems, which made me wait until Lord Eko had something to say.
The Possible Fix: Lord Eko released RR-LP-V5.5.4-20150828-hlte.zip, which I dirty flashed over the top of V5.5.3 (I never learn), then I flashed a new version of Gapps-511-base-20150818-1-signed.zip (mentioned on page 86 by srinivasmv419) and finally I flashed a new kernel called Arter97 kernel, which was mentioned by a few folk.
The Results: Symptom 1, 2, 3 are not happening any more. I am able to Google Search without any problems now. I have written almost all of this post today, as well as send Whats’app and telegram messages and there have been no hangs or reboots during typing.
However my phone has rebooted out of the blue once. I also noticed when it got to the first boot screen “Set Warranty Bit : Kernal, normally says something about the “Selinux Enforcing is passive or permissive“. When I checked the Miscellaneous Settings under Configuration I noticed the setting was off. I turned it on, and rebooted, but the setting remains off despite switching it on.
Despite the hiccups above it is still the best ROM for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a big thank you goes to Lord Eko, creator of this fine ROM.