CyanogenMod release a CM13 nightly Marshmallow ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2.
The folks at CyanogenMod have released a Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2. That is pretty damn amazing considering the smartphone was last seen in 2011.
I couldn’t resist giving it a try to see if it worked, but it does and it runs nicely surprisingly on only 1GB of RAM.
If you are going to give it a try out, chances are your SGS2 has Android Kitkat 4.x installed on it, which means the kernel and recovery will be too old. The partition for marshmallow is different as well so that will have to be formatted.
If you don’t have the patience to read through 1273 pages of forum to find out about the bugs and problems or how to do install it, then keep reading below… I will provide the instructions and links.
Disclaimer: Before you begin, ensure your SGS2 is fully charged and backed up onto a SD card or to your computer.
You are wiping your phone partition and everything on it will be lost. You are responsible for following the instructions.
- Official [ROM][6.0.1][I9100][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 13 Nightly Builds
- The CM13 file and Gapps need to be copied onto a sdcard on your phone.
Remember: Connect your phone to your PC via USB while in Download mode.
- With Odin you have to flash I91001GB_3GB.pit file (instructions) and Kernel_Dorimanx-V11.0b015-[17-34]-[22-12]-LP-SGII-GSSTUDIOS-NON-TRIM-for-ODIN.tar at same time.FYI: I flashed the I91001GB_6GB.pit and it was fine. This has given me a 6GB partition instead of a 3GB partition.
- After that, boot to recovery and format every partitions (sys, data, preload, sdcard).
- Flash CM13-nighly zip file.
- Flash ISOREC recovery.
- Flash GAPPS (ARM, 6.0, nano) – It must be the Nano version, the others are too big and will fail.
- Reboot and pray for about 3 minutes 🙂 It works perfectly if you have followed the instructions.
We are Mike and Jo Bowen. Originally from South Africa, we now live & work in the United Kingdom. Mike is the blogger, beer drinker, gadget man, reviewer and Jo is the proofreader, wine drinker, cat lady, sanity checker and “don’t you dare put that on lookatbowen.com“. Together we travel the world and have fun wherever possible. If you are new to this website and want to know more about us, check out the the longer version.
- Advice (62)
- Animals (18)
- Beer (12)
- Blog (8)
- Book (2)
- Bowen (400)
- Brands (194)
- Drone (5)
- Humour (108)
- IoT (3)
- Home Automation (3)
- Music (64)
- NYE (8)
- People (68)
- Reaction (53)
- Research (1)
- Shares (6)
- Sport (100)
- Technology (69)
- Video (96)
- World (105)