Back in May 2016 I wrote a post on my thoughts of the GoPro Hero 4 Silver edition action camera. It was mostly negative as the camera hadn’t met my expectations.
Fast forward to October 2018, when the latest GoPro Hero 7 Black landed in Bowens hands.
I am sure you can find all the camera specifications all over the Internet, so I am not going to mention them here. Instead I will show you a real life comparison video on the differences between the GoPro Hero 7 Black and the GoPro Hero 4 Silver?
Test 1: GoPro Hero 7 Black versus Hero 4 Silver – lawnmower stability test
Of course if one scours YouTube.com there are loads of comparison videos and every Tom, Dick and Harry have covered the same topics (because there is no such thing as originality these days), so I decided to do something completely different. I stuck my old GoPro Hero 4 Silver on the right side of my Bosch Rotak 36 electric rotary lawn mower and the GoPro Hero 7 Black on the left side of my lawn mower and ran them together, while I mowed the lawn. Check out the video below.
Test 2: GoPro Hero 7 Black versus Hero 4 Silver on a fast moving go-kart
A couple of weeks later another comparison opportunity arrived. It just so happened that the local Go-Kart track (Buckmore Park) allowed the mounting of GoPro cameras on the front of their go-karts. This was going to be an epic comparison and one can’t get more action than this.
The Hero 4 Silver was fitted to my wife’s go-kart (Number 9) and the Hero 7 Black was fitted to my go-kart (Number 10).
A few observations before you watch the video:
- The GoPro Hero 7 Black has telemetry on screen whereas the Hero 4 Silver doesn’t.
- Telemetry was introduced to Hero 5 cameras and above models and it adds a fantastic dimension to one’s videos for example; I was able to show the G-Force taken on every corner, speed in mph or km/h, the location of my go-kart on the track, elevation, directions, distance travelled and a speed tracker.
- The GoPro Hero 7 Black has image stabilization while the Hero 4 Silver doesn’t.
- Stabilization is a major advantage and the camera does not disappoint. The GoPro Hero 7 Black was shaking like a dog shitting razor blades. I honestly thought the video quality would be unusable.
- The GoPro Hero 7 Black is not wrapped in a watertight and sounds are more realistic, while the Hero 4 Silver is and as a result the sound is muffled.
- The GoPro Hero 7 Black was set to 4K, 24 FPS, Field of view was wide, Protune was on, ISO Min = 100, ISO Max = 1600, sharpness = high, Colour = GoPro while the Hero 4 Silver was set to 2.7K, 24 FPS, Field of view was wide, Protune = On, Colour = GoPro, ISO Max = 1600 and sharpness was high. Both videos were edited on Cyberlink PowerDirector.
As you can see the GoPro Hero 7 Black is far superior in every way.
Test 3: GoPro Hero 7 Black – fireworks, music and lighting spectacular
Last night we went and watched a fireworks, lights and music spectacular at Leeds Castle in Kent, United Kingdom. It was an awesome display and I captured it all on the GoPro Hero 7 Black. This was a great opportunity for many reasons as I was able to test the following:
- Sound quality.
- Video in total darkness.
- Video with bright flashing lights.
- Video of fireworks.
I knew the last ten minutes of the show would probably be the best time to record, so I used the first 20 minutes to play around with the camera settings. I switched between recording in slow motion (1080 at 200 FPS) and 4K at 50 FPS. This was easily done as the touch screen menu is a dream to use and is very simple to make changes on the fly. Thinking back to the GoPro Hero 4 Silver, the menus were dark and pushing the button on the front to switch between multiple options was a real pain in the arse!
The last 3 and half minutes of the show didn’t disappoint and thankfully I captured it all using the best settings of 4K at 50 FPS, with the white balance set to 3200K.
Note: The music is not my own and copyright has been claimed by Merlin Domino Recording Co, on behalf of : Domino Recording Co for the following song: I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor – Arctic Monkeys – Sound recording 0:02 – 1:18
Copyright has been claimed by SME, on behalf of: RCA Records Label for the following song: Shut Up and Dance – WALK THE MOON, Sound recording 1:40 – 3:42.